Welcome To SMCC Of North America
SMCC is an organization for the ethnic, spiritual, educational and civic advancement of the Syro Malabar Catholics in the USA and Canada under the St.Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic diocese of chicago.
Syro Malabar Catholic Congress was organized as a sequel to the First Syro Malabar Catholic Convention held in Philadelphia in August 1999. It was organized in keeping with the provisions of the Canon Law regarding lay associations. The organization’s Constitution and Bylaws were officially approved by His Excellency Mar Jacob Angadiath, the bishop of St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic diocese of Chicago, and made SMCC the official lay association of the diocese. It has National Spiritual Director appointed by the Patron and locally the parish priest / mission director is the spiritual director of a chapter.
The most important objective of SMCC is to be at the service of the Church. Members of SMCC are called upon to:
- Participate in the mission of the Church.
- Support the Church
- Defend the Church.
The success of SMCC depends on how well each member and the organization respond to this call. The members of SMCC are convinced of the fact that this organization is a lay organization in the Church and must always be focusing on the mission of the Church in devising our plans and executing our activities. Love for the Church is and always will be the hallmark of SMCC
The aims and objectives of SMCC are:
- Promote the spiritual growth of all Syro Malabar Catholics in North America.
- Provide a national forum for Syro Malabar Catholics in North America to coordinate their activities
- promote and foster the ethnic and cultural identities within the Syro Malaba Catholic Community.
- Promote the advancement of Syro Malabar Rite
- Promote the lay leadership in the Syro Malabar Catholic Community in North America
- Introduce the young people in the community to the Apostolic tradition and unique spiritual heritage of the
Syro Malabar Church.
- Enhance the unity and solidarity of the Syro Malabar Catholic Community.
- Engage in activities that will identify various concerns, and implement appropriate measures to solve them
- Engage in activities that will enhance civic and political education and participation of SMCC members.
- Identify talents of the people and make use of them for the betterment of the community.
- Establish a strong effective communication network among the Syro Malabar Catholic in North America.
- promote spiritual and socio-cultural life through religious, charitable, social and cultural activities.
- Foster understanding and friendship among Catholics of various groups, especially Christian groups of
Saint Thomas tradition.
- Build closer relationship with other Catholic Rites.
- Engage in charitable activities to help the disadvantaged.
- Encourage religious, cultural and racial tolerance.
- Educate the Syro Malabar Catholics to appreciate, and participate in the American Culture.